Max Power (hp) and Max Torque (lbs ft) specifications for Kohler general purpose engines are rated pursuant to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 based on gross output testing performed according to SAE J1995 without the air cleaner and muffler. Actual engine power and torque are lower and affected by accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed, ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude) and other factors. This J1940 / J1995 rating provides consistent measurement to customers who may want to control the intake and exhaust features of the engine. For more information, contact Kohler Co. Engine Engineering Department. Kohler Co. reserves the right to change product specifications, designs and standard equipment without notice and without incurring obligation.
The following warranty policies are current for Kohler engines. To determine the warranty and length of coverage associated with your Kohler engine, please refer to the Equipment Owner’s Manual and/or Kohler Warranty Card provided with the engine during sale as some engines may be covered by a warranty policy different than what is listed.
Limited Warranty, Courage®
Kohler Co. warrants to the original retail consumer that each new engine will be free from manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship for the applicable coverage period as set forth below, beginning on date of purchase; provided the engine is operated and maintained in accordance with Kohler Co.’s instructions and manuals.
Type of use:
Our obligation under this warranty is expressly limited, at our option, to the replacement or repair of such part or parts as inspection shall disclose to be defective at Kohler Co., Kohler, Wisconsin 53044, or at a service facility designated by Kohler Co.
Mufflers on engines used commercially (non-residential) are warranted for one (1) year from date of purchase, except catalytic mufflers, which are warranted for two (2) years.
The following items are not covered by this warranty.
• Damage caused as a result of an accident or casualty.
• Failures caused by faulty repairs made by others.
• Failures caused by use of non-Kohler replacement service parts.
• Transportation charges in connection with the repair or replacement of defective parts.
• Repairs caused from improper storage, old or contaminated fuel left within the fuel system (tanks, fuel lines or carburetor).
• Damage caused from unreasonable use or neglect, normal wear, or premature wear from improper maintenance.
• Engine accessories such as fuel tanks, clutches, transmissions, power drive assemblies, and batteries, unless supplied or installed by Kohler Co. These are subject to the warranties, if any, of their manufacturers.
IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY. WE MAKE NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY, OR IS ANYONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY ON OUR BEHALF. KOHLER CO. AND/OR THE SELLER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND.
Some states or countries do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from country to country, or state to state within U.S.A.
TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE:
Original retail consumer must bring the engine to an authorized Kohler dealer found by visiting www.KohlerEngines.com or telephone 1-800-544-2444 (U.S.A. and Canada).
The benefits given to you under this warranty are in addition to other rights and remedies that you have under Australian law in relation to the goods.
All costs associated with claiming under this warranty must be borne by the consumer, including transport costs incurred in the repair or replacement of any defective part.
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
Kohler Co. Service Agent in Australia:
31 Powers Road
Seven Hills, NSW, 2147
61 2 9830 2295
61 1800 069 399
ENGINE DIVISION, Kohler Co., Kohler Wisconsin
CALIFORNIA AND FEDERAL EXHAUST AND EVAPORATIVE
EMISSIONS CONTROL WARRANTY STATEMENT
YOUR WARRANTY RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
The California Air Resources Board, US Environmental Protection Agency (“US EPA”) and Kohler Co are pleased to explain the exhaust and evaporative emissions control systems warranty on your 2013-2014 Small Off-Road Engine (“SORE”) and engine powered equipment as applicable. In California and the USA, SORE and engine powered equipment must be designed, built and equipped to meet California and US EPA stringent anti-smog standards. Kohler Co. must warrant the emissions control systems on your SORE and engine powered equipment for the period listed below provided there has been no abuse, neglect or improper maintenance of your SORE or engine powered equipment.
Your exhaust emission control systems may include parts such as carburetors, fuel-injection systems, the ignition system, and catalytic converters. Also included may be an evaporative emission control system which may include tanks, fuel lines, fuel caps, valves, canisters, filters, vapor hoses, clamps, connectors, belts and other associated components. For engines less than or equal to 80 cc, only the fuel tank is subject to the evaporative emission control warranty requirements of this section (California only).
MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY COVERAGE:
The 1995 and later SORE and evaporative emission control system is warranted for two years. If any exhaust or evaporative emission-related part on your SORE or engine powered equipment is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Kohler Co.
OWNER’S WARRANTY RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the SORE or engine powered equipment owner, you are responsible for the performance of the required maintenance listed in your owner’s manual. Kohler Co. recommends that you retain all receipts covering maintenance on your SORE or engine powered equipment, but Kohler Co. cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts. As the SORE or engine powered equipment owner, you should however be aware that Kohler Co. may deny you warranty coverage if your SORE or engine powered equipment or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
You are responsible for presenting your SORE or engine powered equipment to a Kohler Co. distribution or service center as soon as a problem exists. The warranty repairs should be completed in a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed 30 days. If you have a question regarding your warranty coverage, you should contact a Kohler Dealer at 1-800-544-2444.
GENERAL EMISSIONS WARRANTY COVERAGE
The warranty period begins on the date the engine or equipment is delivered to an ultimate purchaser. Kohler Co. warrants to the ultimate purchaser and each subsequent purchaser that the engine is: Designed, built, and equipped so as to conform with all applicable regulations adopted by the Air Resources Board and US EPA; and Free from defects in materials and workmanship that cause the failure of a warranted part to be identical in all material respects to the part as
(1) Any warranted part that is not scheduled for replacement as required maintenance in the owner’s manual supplied, is warranted for the warranty period stated above. If any such part fails during the period of warranty coverage, the part will be repaired or replaced by Kohler Co. at no charge to the owner. Any such part repaired or replaced under the warranty will be warranted for the remaining warranty period.
(2) Any warranted part that is scheduled only for regular inspection in the owner’s manual supplied, is warranted for the warranty period stated above. Any such part repaired or replaced under warranty will be warranted for the remaining warranty period.
(3) Any warranted part that is scheduled for replacement as required maintenance in the owner’s manual supplied, is warranted for the period of time prior to the first scheduled replacement point for that part. If the part fails prior to the first scheduled replacement, the part will be repaired or replaced by Kohler Co. at no charge to the owner. Any such part repaired or replaced under warranty will be warranted for the remainder of the period prior to the first scheduled replacement point for the part.
(4) Add-on or modified parts that are not exempted by the Air Resources Board may not be used. The use of any nonexempted add-on or modified parts by the ultimate purchaser will be grounds for disallowing a warranty claim. The manufacturer will not be liable to warrant failures of warranted parts caused by the use of a non-exempted add-on or modified part.
PARTS COVERED BY WARRANTY
Listed below are the parts (if equipped) covered by the Federal and California Emission Control Systems Warranty.
Some parts listed below may require scheduled maintenance and are warranted up to the first scheduled replacement point for that part.
• Oxygen sensor
• Intake manifold
• Exhaust manifold
• Catalytic muffler
• Thermal reactor muffler
• Fuel line, fuel line fittings and clamps
• Spark advance module
• Crankcase breather
• Air Injection System
- Air pump or pulse valve assembly
- Control/distribution valve
- Distribution manifold
- Air hoses
- Vacuum lines
• Ignition module(s) with high tension lead
• Gaseous fuel regulator
• Electronic control unit
• Carburetor or fuel injection system
• Fuel metering valve
• Air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs (only to first scheduled replacement point)
• Evaporative System
- Canister filter
- Vapor hose
- Orifice connector
- Fuel tank
- Fuel cap
- Primer bulb canister
This Emission Control Systems Warranty shall not cover any of the following:
(a) Consequential damages such as loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of the engine or equipment, etc.
(b) Diagnosis and inspection fees that do not result in eligible warranty service being performed.
ENGINE DIVISION, Kohler Co., Kohler Wisconsin
Kohler PA-SV540-0005 Excel Hustler 18hp Courage Vertical Shaft Single Cylinder Engine